To enroll or not enroll


In todays vast online information era I have had the opportunity to learn so much about my craft. Even the night before last I went online to learn how to do an invisible part closer for a client I had to service the next day. But thats my hair business and because thats where the majority of my income steams from I am always furthering my education through various workshops, seminars, and symposiums.
Although doing hair came natural as far as the styling process. Cutting, coloring, weaving, and product knowledge was something I had to learn from professionals.

Now here is where the dilemma comes in... Art was also something that came naturally to me and if you have been someone who has followed my journey you can certainly see the growth in my work. I am always online looking for new techniques and online workshops. However most of what I have learned has been through trial and error. I also have learned that in the age of digital technology art has this whole new medium in which artist can express themselves. I want to incorporate those new advancements in my own work. 
Then there is the whole sharing process which I do know a lot of artist and non artist appreciate. Sharing has become part of the art as well. I have been told by some of my collectors, they love the fact that they can tune in and watch the process of their original artwork being created. Some have even shared the process with friends who admire their art collection.

I say all this to say although I am growing and sharing I can only imagine what I could do if I had the proper training. Lets say for example the sharing process. Some say any basic video editing software will get the job done. And it has thus far... However being the creative that I am I want to take my sharing process to a whole other artistic level of cinematography. That takes more than just your basic video sharing software. Lately I have been trouble shooting my issues with lighting and getting a clear crisp video. Not to mention different angles and shots. 
Then I also thought it would be pretty cool to incorporate snips of my vlog and day to day life in the painting process. Kind of like a biography sort of speak. The filming and editing have to be done right.

I know realistically I can't do it all myself. Yet being who I am makes me kind of alone. My friends are all hairstylist. I live in the suburbs and my studio is here in my room. How can I learn more and collaborate when I am physically not surrounded by other artist???? Online has been working however the energy of being in the same room with creative artistic minds is a whole other dynamic.
One so great it has me wondering should I enroll in art school. I know the debate of self taught vs art degree blah blah blah. However a degree is not my main aspiration but the knowledge and camaraderie are. 
I see the things my girlfriends daughter has learned in school in such a short period of time. Things that took me a few years to accomplish she did in weeks or months. Ideas are also there being toss around and manipulated. I don't know??? Perhaps its her youthfulness & curiosity is what I see... Either way I want to keep growing and making great art and making the sharing process an expression of my art as well.

Now I just have to figure out the best way to achieve that.
I am open to ideas and feedback.... 

Comments